After last night's Super Bowl, we ventured out into the Internet in search of some trivia and interesting facts on Super Bowl 52. Here's what we came up with:
1. Tom Brady is the first quarterback in NFL history to LOSE a game with: 500-plus passing yards . . . three or more touchdowns . . . and zero interceptions. And that's for both the regular season and playoffs.
2. Brady and Rob Gronkowski have connected for 12 postseason touchdowns, including two last night. That ties Joe Montana and Jerry Rice for the most by a quarterback / wide receiver duo in NFL history.
3. In Super Bowl 52, the Patriots allowed 41 points and 538 total yards . . . more than any Patriots playoff game under Bill Belichick.
4. Nick Foles is the first player in NFL history to throw AND CATCH a touchdown in the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, Danny Amendola's pass attempt to Brady was just the third time Brady has EVER been targeted as a receiver, and the first time it failed. He caught the previous two for a total of 59 receiving yards.
5. New England kicker Stephen Gostkowski's 26-yard miss is tied for the third-shortest missed field goal in Super Bowl history. Mike Cofer missed a 19-yard kick for San Francisco in Super Bowl 23, and Rich Karlis missed a 23-yard kick for Denver in Super Bowl 21.
6. The Patriots got a field goal in the first quarter to tie the game at three. That was the first time they'd scored in the first quarter of a Super Bowl in the Brady / Belichick era. Now, the Patriots have been outscored 24-3 in the first quarters of Super Bowls since 2001.
7. Yesterday's game was the 50th straight game that Brady was favored to win, dating back to 2015. The only quarterback with a longer streak was Kurt Warner, who was favored in 55 straight games from 1999 to 2003.
8. This was the Eagles first Super Bowl win, and so now Philadelphia joins New York, Boston, Chicago, and Los Angeles as the only cities with a team to win the World Series, the Stanley Cup, the Super Bowl, and an NBA title.
Obviously, there are a lot of cities that don't even have a team in each of those sports.
10. Brady won the regular season MVP this year . . . and he lost the Super Bowl. Eight other MVPs have reached the Super Bowl since 2001, and like Brady, ALL of them went on to lose the Super Bowl.
11. 17 new Super Bowl records were set last night . . . including three kicking-related ones. The Patriots are the first team to play a Super Bowl without punting, and the lone punt by the Eagles means that this game had the fewest punts overall of any Super Bowl.
There were also FOUR missed point-after-touchdown attempts, which is a new record. Both teams missed an extra point kick . . . and the Eagles failed on two, two-point conversions.
12. The Patriots have just tied the record for most Super Bowl losses. This was New England's fifth loss. The Denver Broncos also have five losses, but no team has more.
They also have five wins. That's good for second place. The Pittsburgh Steelers have six. The Cowboys and 49ers also have five Super Bowl wins.