70% of Americans are confident they can cook a good burger. But what goes ON your burger might matter even more. 78% of people say the toppings can make or break a burger. And one in three think it's the MOST important part.
Someone polled people in all 50 states to find out what the "perfect" burger looks like. Here are the results . . .
1. America's favorite burger toppings in order are Cheese, bacon, lettuce, raw onions, and tomatoes in fifth place. No mention of pickles.
2. 46% also said their perfect burger would need to have ketchup. And 43% said the same about mayo. Fewer people like mustard.
3. What's our favorite type of cheese? A third said American goes best on a burger.
4. What about the bun? Sesame seed ranked first with 24% of the vote.
5. Seven out of 10 people said the perfect burger would also need to come with a side of fries. And this might be controversial, but POTATO WEDGES were voted the best type of fry to pair with a burger.
The survey also asked people if they think their state is known for its burgers. The states that top the list in burger pride are: Alaska, Illinois, New York, Texas, and Georgia.